This strawberry salad with poppyseed dressing includes fresh, juicy berries, feta, & pecans atop crisp lettuce, and it’s drizzled with a sweet dressing, perfect for summertime.
I’m still in New York City, and I look forward to doing a life catch up post soon! For now, enjoy one of my favorite light summer recipes.
A couple weekends ago, my mom and I went strawberry picking. We left with about 10 pounds of fresh, juicy strawberries, and we knew we needed to use them fast since they were perfectly ripe when we picked them. We tossed around a few recipe ideas like strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, and strawberry bread, but ultimately decided to take a healthy route and make a big strawberry salad with poppyseed dressing, feta, and pecans. It’s a great appetizer, and if topped with grilled chicken or another protein, it makes a great main dish, too.
The salad is topped with a sweet poppyseed dressing that takes it to the next level of deliciousness. I’ve made the same salad in the fall with thinly sliced apples or pears, which is also wonderful. For now, the strawberry version is perfect for summer!
Strawberry Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
For the Salad
- Romaine lettuce or spinach leaves, washed
- Strawberries, washed and sliced
- Pecans, chopped
- Feta cheese, crumbled
For the Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place lettuce in the bottom of a serving bowl or distribute among individual plates. Top with strawberries, pecans, and feta cheese, to taste. Toss with dressing just before serving, or serve dressing on the side.
- For the dressing: whisk all ingredients together and mix again just before pouring to re-combine the oil and vinegar.