I’ve been making versions of this oat flour pancake recipe for years and still really enjoy it. These pancakes are naturally gluten-free because of the oat flour, with a dairy-free option as well.
But if you’re not gluten-free, don’t let that deter you! I started making these long before I ate gluten-free. The simple, wholesome ingredients make them so good: oats, banana, egg, milk, butter or oil, and chocolate chips!
I started experimenting with making oat flour pancakes in the blender and they turned out so well! The blender pancakes are a bit smoother in texture but otherwise similar.
I often avoid blender recipes because I don’t want to add the extra step of cleaning the blender, but if you’re already making your own oat flour in the blender, anyway, it’s super easy to toss everything in there, pour the pancake batter onto the skillet, and then rinse out the blender while the pancakes cook.
For these pancakes, blend the oats into a fine powder, and then add the baking soda and salt and blend briefly. Add the banana, egg, milk (I like to use almond milk or oat milk), and oil or melted butter and blend once more, until just combined. Stir the chocolate chips in and that’s it.
Let the batter rest and thicken up a bit while your griddle preheats
• With a single batch of this recipe, you can make two large pancakes or a whole plateful of small pancakes.
• You can also substitute blueberries for chocolate chips if you have fresh or frozen blueberries on hand and add a sprinkle of cinnamon, too.
• I’ve even sliced up strawberries really small and added them with the chocolate chips and those were fantastic.
• I love that this is a small batch pancake recipe since I’m often cooking for just one or two people. So, I wrote it as a single serving recipe, but it’s easy to double and this website will even double (or triple or more!) the ingredients for you if you click on the number of servings below, near the recipe.
Hope you enjoy this healthy pancake recipe! If you give it a try, let me know in a comment or tag me @livbane on Instagram– I’d love to see!
Banana Blender Pancakes for One (Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup oats (use certified GF oats if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 large banana
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk (use almond, cashew, or oat milk for dairy-free)
- 2 tsp. melted butter or coconut oil (use oil for dairy-free)
- A sprinkle of chocolate chips
- In a blender, blend oats until they resemble flour. Add baking soda and salt and pulse until combined. Add banana, egg, milk, and melted oil or butter, and then blend until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Place a skillet over medium-low heat. Let the batter rest for five minutes while the skillet preheats.
- Spoon batter onto griddle as 4-5 small pancakes and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the facedown side is lightly golden. Turn with a spatula and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Top with honey or maple syrup, if you’d like, and serve!
You can also check out my banana blueberry pancakes for one!