If you love pumpkin, you’ll love these pumpkin oats! I make pumpkin oatmeal every fall and winter, and it’s the quintessential cozy breakfast, especially alongside a warm cappuccino.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Ingredients
The ingredient list is short and sweet:
- Oats – either old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats work well (not instant)
- Milk, water, or plant-based milk (almond milk, cashew milk, etc.)
- Pumpkin puree – I frequently have canned pumpkin leftover from making pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin muffins, and this pumpkin oatmeal is a perfect way to use leftover pumpkin
- Pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Maple syrup – if you want this to be a little more decadent, like pumpkin pie oatmeal, just add an extra teaspoon or two of maple syrup
Pumpkin is a bit bland on its own, so the cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and salt add a LOT of flavor.
I appreciate some texture and crunch in oatmeal, and toppings make a big difference. For pumpkin oats, I love adding pecans, walnuts, or pepitas for crunch and dried cranberries, raisins, diced apple, or banana slices for a little bit of extra sweetness.
You can make this oatmeal on the stove-top (5-10 minutes) or in the microwave (2-3 minutes and my preferred method). Either way, it’s quick and easy!
I wrote this pumpkin oatmeal recipe for one, but in the recipe card below, you can click where it says “1 serving” and adjust the slider— all the way up to 20 servings.
If you love oatmeal, be sure to also check out:
- 3-Minute Peanut Butter Egg White Oatmeal
- Simple Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
If you try this pumpkin spice oatmeal, feel free to take a photo and tag me @healthylivlewis on Instagram. I’d love to see!
5-Ingredient Pumpkin Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup milk or water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pecans, walnuts, pepitas, almond or peanut butter, dried cranberries, raisins, diced apple, or banana slices
- Add the milk or water to a small saucepan. Bring the milk or water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and pour in the oats.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the oats are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid, about 5 minutes for old-fashioned oats OR 2-3 minute for quick-cooking oats. Remove from the heat and spoon into a bowl.
- Add all ingredients (oats, milk or water, pumpkin, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and salt) to a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave until oats are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes for quick oats OR 3-4 minutes for old-fashioned oats. Let stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Add toppings like pecans, walnuts, pepitas, almond or peanut butter, dried cranberries, raisins, diced apple, or banana slices, plus a splash of milk. Enjoy!
Lisa V. says
This looks and sounds wonderful, and the maple, spice, and pecans make it perfect for fall too. I love oatmeal, so I will have to try this!
Hope you enjoy it! 😀
Carol Eiseman says
Fall will soon be here. This recipe sounds wonderful.
I can’t wait! I always look forward to fall 😀