These frozen chocolate peanut butter banana bites couldn’t be simpler to make, and they’re the perfect mini treat for your sweet tooth!
I almost always (okay, always) love having a little treat after lunch and dinner. It’s usually not because I’m hungry, but just because I’m craving something sweet. I eat plenty of ice cream, but I also try to come up with other ideas for mini treats, especially ones that are naturally sweetened.
Some of my favorites are dried figs, fresh fruit, a square of dark chocolate, or a chocolate chip peanut butter energy bite.
Then, there are also these frozen chocolate peanut butter banana bites. I love making these because they’re adorable and just a couple satisfy my ever-present chocolate and peanut butter cravings.
I love dipping just half in chocolate so they’re easier to grab without chocolate melting on your fingers as you eat them! And they look so cute this way, too. Be warned: taking a giant bite into one straight out of the freezer may give you a brain freeze 🙂
And they couldn’t be much simpler. Just cut a few bananas into small coins (the thinner the better, at least to a reasonable extent!). Then, spread natural peanut butter in between each set of banana slices. Place ’em on a parchment or wax paper-lined tray or baking sheet.Pop them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
Then, once they’re frozen solid, melt semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips with a bit of coconut oil. You can’t taste the coconut at all, but you can also sub another oil with a fairly neutral taste if you don’t have coconut oil. The oil helps the chocolate chips melt smoothly and coat the banana slices in a thinner layer.
Working quickly, you’ll dip half of each “sandwich” in melted chocolate and place them back on the baking sheet or tray and put them back in the freezer ASAP.
A couple of hours later, they’re all ready to enjoy!
If you try these frozen chocolate peanut butter banana bites, let me know in a comment or take a photo and tag me @livbane on Instagram– I’d love to see!
Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- 3 medium or large bananas, slightly ripe (not too soft or speckled)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on baking dish or small tray. Peel bananas and slice into small coins, about 1/4 inch thick. Using a small knife, spread 1/2 tsp. peanut butter on each of half of the banana slices. Place another banana slice on top of each peanut butter-covered slice to create a "sandwich." Place banana "sandwiches" on the baking sheet or tray and put in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Once bananas are frozen solid, prepare the chocolate coating. Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave on medium-high heat for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave again for 15 seconds and stir. If needed, microwave once more for 15 seconds and stir to fully melt chips.
- Remove bananas from freezer and working quickly, hold each banana sandwich and dip half of it in the bowl of melted chocolate. Place back on baking sheet or tray and return to freezer for 2 hours until frozen solid again. Enjoy!
Nutrition info per bite: 46 calories, 6g carbs, 2g fat, 1g protein, 3g sugar