These simple, naturally-sweetened peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies are the perfect healthy treat for a school or work lunchbox. They’re made with just 4 ingredients– oats, peanut butter, banana, and chocolate chips.
I first tried these simple peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies when one of my good friends made them in college, so I knew what to expect when I tried making a version of peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies myself.
They’re are an easy, healthy treat that doesn’t taste overly decadent or sweet. They’re soft rather than crispy and almost remind me of a banana bread cookie. They’re definitely not your typical cookie, but I think they’re delicious.
You can preheat the oven, mix up the batter, and enjoy one of these cookies in 20 minutes from start to finish!
To make these healthy cookies, start by mashing ripe bananas in a medium bowl. Stir in peanut butter, optional honey or sugar, oats, salt, and chocolate chips. Then, roll the cookie dough into balls, place them on a parchment paper-lined sheet, and lightly flatten them since they don’t spread in the oven. Before you know it, you’ll be enjoying some cookies hot out of the oven.
A note about sweeteners: you can add a small amount of honey or sugar if you prefer your cookie to taste a bit sweeter. Even though I don’t love overly-sugary desserts, I enjoyed the addition of a tablespoon of honey to liven these up after only sweetening them with banana the first time I made them. They aren’t overly sweet at all. But it’s up to you!
I often pack a mini treat to snack on between classes or enjoy after dinner as a healthy dessert, and these peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies are perfect for that. I keep these cookies in the freezer, toss one in my lunchbox in the morning, and it’s thawed within a couple of hours.
Some of my other favorite healthy treats that I keep in my freezer are Yasso Greek yogurt bars and these amazing double chocolate peanut butter muffins (which only have 8 grams of sugar)! Feel free to share other ideas with me– I’d love to hear your favorite healthy treats!
I hope you enjoy these peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies as much as I do!
If you try these peanut butter banana oatmeal cookies, feel free to let me know in a comment and leave a star rating, or take a photo and tag me @livbane on Instagram! I’d love to see!
4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana (2 very large bananas, about 290g weighed without peel)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use natural, no sugar added)
- 1 Tbsp. honey or coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet or dark), plus a few extra to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel bananas and mash in a medium mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, including optional honey or sugar if using, and stir to combine.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop approximately 20 tablespoon-size spoonfuls onto a cookie shape and flatten with a spatula. Press a few chocolate chips into the top of each cookie, if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies have set and are just beginning to lighty brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then remove from cookie sheet.
- For optimal freshness, store leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to 1-2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
A Healthy Liv original recipe