This one-pan chicken sausage sweet potato bake is an easy dinner that’s delicious topped with salsa and avocado!
Last fall, I posted a recipe for one-pan chicken sausage and roasted veggies. It’s not one of the most popular or trendy recipes on the blog, but it’s a simple, wholesome meal I love and make on a regular basis.
It’s also one of those meals I’ve made for other people and they’ve asked for the recipe and have started making it, too. And having a food blog really comes in handy when people ask for recipes!
The original recipe is really great. It’s a super easy, throw-whatever-veggies-and-sausage you-have-on-a-baking-sheet kind of meal. But then I had the idea for a southwestern-style one-pan chicken sausage sweet potato bake (mainly so I could top it with avocado and salsa) and I like this even better than the original.
It’s really filling, relatively inexpensive, and tastes awesome. And if you leave out the black beans, it’s Paleo and Whole 30-friendly. I love the ease of using pre-cooked chicken sausage so I don’t have to actually deal with cooking meat myself. It’s such a big time and convenience saver!
I especially love Trader Joe’s line of chicken sausage: there’s sweet Italian, sun-dried tomato, spicy jalapeño, etc. and they all have short ingredient lists. Most are also Whole 30/Paleo-friendly. This isn’t sponsored by Trader Joe’s– I just love their food, friendly cashiers, and generous samples. And their dark chocolate peanut butter cups.
If you try this one-pan southwestern chicken sausage sweet potato bake, feel free to let me know in a comment or take a picture and tag me @livbane on Instagram. Hope you enjoy!
One-Pan Southwestern Chicken Sausage Sweet Potato Bake
- 1 package fully cooked chicken sausage (I used Trader Joe's Spicy Jalapeño chicken sausage)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 small, diced into small cubes)
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, black pepper, and garlic powder
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Avocado and salsa for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice chicken sausage into 1/4 inch rounds. Chop sweet potatoes into small cubes. Chop bell pepper and onion. Transfer veggies to baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and toss with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- While chicken sausage and veggies are in the oven, drain, rinse, and use a paper towel to pat the black beans dry. Remove baking sheet from oven after 20 minutes and add black beans for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.
- Top with avocado slices and salsa and enjoy!
Nutrition info for 1 serving (1/4 of recipe): 378 calories, 47g carbs, 13g fat, 21g protein, 8g sugar