I love ordering burrito bowls at Chipotle, but it does get a little pricy to eat out all the time. The great thing about a burrito bowl (and especially a vegetarian burrito bowl!) is that it’s an easy meal to make at home, which I would totally do, except for one problem: I don’t have a kitchen.
Technically, there is a kitchen in my dorm building…on a different floor…and the stove kind of works…if you have 20 minutes to wait for a pot of water to boil.
So while I absolutely love cooking when at home, I avoid the dorm kitchen whenever possible. Sometimes, I make the journey downstairs to roast a big tray of veggies that’ll last for a week, but that’s about the extent of my kitchen usage.
So, when I came up with an easy way to make a vegetarian burrito bowl without doing any actual cooking, I thought I’d share in case there are others of you out there who don’t like to make complicated meals or who are cooking for one, too.
To make my vegetarian burrito bowl, I used this timesaver: pre-cooked frozen brown rice! Sure, if I was at home with a fully-stocked kitchen I’d probably make my own rice, but this little shortcut saves time AND keeps me from having to wash an extra pot. You could also make extra brown rice for another meal and then use the leftovers for this simple recipe.
There are lots of possible variations, but here’s what I do for my single-serving bowl: I prepare the brown rice in a microwave-safe bowl and then mix in black beans, a spoonful of salsa, a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and the secret ingredient: plain Greek yogurt. It adds so much creaminess. Then, I microwave the bowl for about a minute, stir the mixture up, top it with some avocado slices, and voila! My 5-minute vegetarian burrito bowl is ready.
I kept my toppings and mix-ins pretty simple since my refrigerator is the size of a shoebox, but there are lots of possible variations. You could also add sautéd veggies, shredded chicken, tofu, corn, or pico de gallo, or drizzle your bowl with salsa verde or enchilada sauce, or top your burrito bowl with guacamole instead of sliced avocado. Instead of black beans, you could even use pinto or refried beans, which are a great source of folate.
5-Minute Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used Trader Joe's frozen pre-cooked brown rice)
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons salsa, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- Diced avocado, diced tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, etc.
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine rice, black beans, salsa, plain Greek yogurt, and shredded cheese. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds, or until heated through.
- Top with diced avocado, diced tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, or other desired toppings.
Calories: 343 Carbs: 63g Fat: 4g Protein: 15g Fiber: 9g Sodium: 240 Sugar: 2g