I love ordering burrito bowls at restaurants but also appreciate that burrito bowls (and especially vegetarian burrito bowsl!) are a super easy meal to make yourself. I have just one problem: as a college freshman, I don’t really have a kitchen.
Technically, there is a kitchen in my freshman dorm building…on a different floor…and the stove kind of works…if you have 20 minutes to wait for a pot of water to boil. While I do absolutely love cooking, I’ve avoided the dorm kitchen as much as possible this year.
So, I came up with an easy way to make a vegetarian burrito bowl without doing any actual cooking or even leaving my dorm room. I thought I’d share in case you’re in the same dorm room boat, are cooking for one, or don’t enjoy making complicated meals!
To make my vegetarian burrito bowl, I used this timesaver: pre-cooked frozen brown rice! If I had a fully-stocked kitchen, I’d probably make my own rice, but this little shortcut saves time AND keeps me from having to wash an extra pot.
I prepare the brown rice in a microwave-safe bowl and then mix in black beans, a spoonful of salsa, a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and the secret ingredient: plain Greek yogurt. It adds so much creaminess.
Then, I microwave the bowl for about a minute, stir the mixture up, top it with some avocado slices, and voila! My 5-minute vegetarian burrito bowl is ready.
I kept my toppings and mix-ins pretty simple since my refrigerator is the size of a shoebox, but there are lots of possible variations.
You could also add sautéd veggies, shredded chicken, tofu, corn, or pico de gallo, or drizzle your bowl with salsa verde or enchilada sauce, or top your burrito bowl with guacamole instead of sliced avocado. Instead of black beans, you could even use pinto or refried beans. Hope you enjoy!
If you try this vegetarian burrito bowl recipe, let me know in a comment or take a photo and tag me @livbane on Instagram. I’d love to see!
5-Minute Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used Trader Joe's frozen pre-cooked brown rice)
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons salsa, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- Diced avocado, diced tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, etc.
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine rice, black beans, salsa, plain Greek yogurt, and shredded cheese. Microwave on high for 30-60 seconds, or until heated through.
- Top with diced avocado, diced tomato, guacamole, pico de gallo, or other desired toppings.