Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
This hearty vegan lentil soup is an easy dinner recipe, perfect for Meatless Monday or a healthy, inexpensive dinner recipe!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil (I use grapeseed or avocado oil)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 lb yellow potatoes (approx. 2-3 small potatoes), diced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (add 1 extra cup if you like thinner soup)
- 1 tsp. each salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ground cumin, & dried thyme
- 1 cup fresh spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (approx. 1/2 lemon)
Place a medium or large pot on stove over medium heat. Add cooking oil and chopped onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until onion is tender.
Add chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, lentils, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and thyme. Turn heat up to high and bring soup to a boil. Turn heat back down to medium-low and lightly simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are both tender.
Run a potato masher through the soup (or use a fork) to lightly mash some of it to thicken. Chop fresh spinach or kale. Add spinach/kale and lemon juice to the soup and allow the greens to wilt. Enjoy!
Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze in large containers or pint-size mason jars for individual servings up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 2g | Sugar: 7g