Fall Harvest Butternut Squash Chicken Salad
Servings: 4 entree salads
For the Salad
- 8 cups romaine lettuce or spinach
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash cubes
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup feta or goat cheese
- 4 chicken breasts, plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning for marinade
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice approx. 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon heaping lemon zest optional
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poppyseeds
Wash and dry chicken breasts. Pound to an even 1/4 inch thickness, and then place in a medium bowl and top with olive oil, lemon juice, and cajun seasoning. Cover the bowl with a lid, place in refrigerator, and marinate for 3-4 hours.
While chicken is marinating, peel and chop butternut squash. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle with a tablespoon of cooking oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelize.
While squash is roasting, wash and dry lettuce or spinach. Mix salad dressing ingredients in a jar or shaker container. Cook chicken in skillet in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat, for 3-4 minutes each side.
Place salad or lettuce in bowls, and then top with roasted squash cubes, nuts, cheese, and sliced chicken breasts. Serve immediately.