Simple Vegetarian Fajita Bowls with a spicy black bean & veggie mixture, cilantro lime brown rice, and easy guacamole on the side
I love fajitas. Growing up, my family made grilled chicken fajitas for dinner usually once every week and we actually still do. Even after having homemade fajitas many, many times, fajitas is usually still one of my answers if my mom asks what I’d like for dinner when I come home from school.
I always crave my favorite family meals when I’m at school, including homemade fajitas. When I’m cooking for only myself, I also make a lot of vegetarian meals. That’s partially because they’re easy & inexpensive, and partially because I like the idea of reducing the amount of meat in my diet. I really like the Meatless Monday movement! So, to satisfy my fajita cravings and make an easy vegetarian meal, I’ve started making vegetarian fajita bowls with all of my favorite aspects of regular fajitas– the sautéed peppers and onions, the guacamole, and just a little bit of spiciness.
I keep my vegetarian fajita bowls simple with just a spicy black bean & veggie mixture, brown rice, and simple guacamole (just mashed avocado, garlic powder, and a squeeze of lime juice).
To make these easy bowls, start by cooking the brown rice. I start it first because it cooks for 35 to 40 minutes from start to finish.
After starting the rice, sauté the fajita veggies (red onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic) in a little bit of grapeseed oil over medium low heat. Any type of bell pepper or onion would work well!
After a few minutes, add sliced mushrooms and cook everything until the peppers and onions start to soften.
And then add the drained and rinsed black beans.
Then, add a few cups of spinach on top and cover the skillet with a lid to help it wilt faster.
About half of a bag!
Once the spinach wilts, serve the black bean & veggie mixture alongside the brown rice. Then, add all of your favorite toppings like guacamole, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and pico de gallo to your vegetarian fajita bowls.
If you try out the recipe, feel free to let me know in a comment or take a picture and tag me @livbane on Instagram. Hope you enjoy!
Simple Vegetarian Fajita Bowls with a spicy black bean & veggie mixture, cilantro lime brown rice, and easy guacamole
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil (I use grapeseed)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms (I use Baby Bella)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder or chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
- Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa, pico de gallo, etc.
- Start by cooking 1 cup brown rice according to package directions. While it cooks, prepare the black bean & veggie mixture. Once rice is done cooking, add lime juice and fresh cilantro and stir.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bell pepper, onion, and garlic in cooking oil. After 3-4 minutes, add mushrooms, chipotle powder/chili powder, and pepper, and cook until veggies are softened.
- Add black beans and stir, then add fresh spinach. Cover skillet with lid to help the spinach wilt.
- To serve, layer brown rice, black bean and veggie mixture, and toppings like guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa, and pico de gallo in each individual bowl.
For guacamole, use a fork to mash avocado and add garlic powder and lime juice to taste.